What’s the Rent a Room Scheme
The Rent a Room Scheme is a great way to earn money tax free, to meet your mortgage repayments or live that little bit better.
Under the Rent a Room Scheme, you can earn up to €10,000 a year tax free from renting out one or more rooms in your house.
You also do not have to register the tenancy with the PRTB (Private Residential Tenancies Board) or pay Property Tax
Tax and the Rent a Room Scheme
For the landlord:
- As a Landlord, you can claim up to €10,000 tax free under this scheme.
- Between levies, PRSI and income tax, this can save you €5,300 a year in savings on your taxbill – very tax efficient that!
- While the rent is tax free, you do have to declare it through a Tax Return. Contact us now to declare rent a room scheme tax exempt rental income.
- If you are getting a means test social assistence payment, this income is taken into account.
- As a Tenant renting a room under the rent a room scheme, the good news is you can still claim Rent Relief each year
- This can be worth from €400 to €1,600 a year – Check this on our Rent Relief Calculator
For more information on the Rent a Room Scheme and the rules pertaining to it, see Citizensinformation